Saturday 9 July 2011

inspired: cake toppers. x

it's been a bit of a revelationduring my blog searches to find so many creative and imaginative cake topper ideas out there. long gone are the days of the tacky plastic bride and groom figurines (thank goodness) and in their place, brides have personalised their centrepieces with a wide range of gorgeous ideas.

I do love when wedding parties incorporate their floral themes with food decoration, but for our wedding, I really wanted to have a personal keepsake from our day.
Philippa&James-wedding-491
I had seen these wooden characters (unpainted) on Etsy (ours were from Goose Grease) and as James didn't know anything about my dress, I painted our mini-me's in our wedding outfits. In fact, James saw both me and my wooden doll for the first time in the green dress at the same moment! I have our dolls sat in our living room as a happy reminder of that moment!


I did have another set of toppers which I had been saving since I was 15...

On holiday with my parents, I came across these Mexican day-of-the-dead skeletons and have had them carefully wrapped in tissue paper since! I didn't think they were totally appropriate (slightly morbid) for our day, but they're making an appearance now in the run up to our first anniversary!
P1010745
but I do love the unusual ideas out there right now.

here's some gorgeous ideas I have come across recently:
100LAYERCAKE RED GALLERY PHOTOGRAPHY
above photo found on 100layercake

there have been so many 'birdy' themed weddings out there over the past few years. I like that the above is a little different in style and the below is using the theme but executing it in a slightly more original idea. So pretty!
100LAYERCAKE ANNIE MCELWAINE
above photo found on 100layercake


magic mushrooms?!:
100LAYERCAKE JEREMY HARRIS WEDDINGS
above photo found on 100layercake

royal couple for the day:
100layercake 1 la dolce vita studio
above photo found on 100layercake


I do love the use of the mini bunting below to spell out a phrase or even the couple's names- so sweet!
100LAYER CAKE MYLOVE
above photo from
100layercake

5 comments:

  1. thank you for this great post-I'm looking for a came ripper at the moment as we don't want the tacky plastic bride & groom either! love the idea of bunting with our names on-so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! Love the 1st and the last! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little wooden toppers, they always look so cute! and that last cake is stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry that should be cake topper, oh dear! silly phone making corrections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last cake is my favorite! I kind of want to make it for every special occasion from now on:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete